BLAGOLAZH / CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
23rd INTERNATIONAL BIENNIAL OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE IN THE ARTS - GABROVO 2017
17th NATIONAL MEETING OF JOKE- and STORYTELLERS
BLAGOLAZH National Meeting is held during the International Humour Festival in the town of Gabrovo in the second half of May every other year. The Meeting aims to:
• reveal the wealth of Bulgarian comic verbal folklore presented by joke- and storytellers from all corners of Bulgaria and Bulgarians who live in other cultural environment;
• further live human communication through the art of storytelling;
• enable storytellers to demonstrate their communicative and storytelling skills in front of an audience that is the object of the laughter therapy effect through the means of verbal humour;
• collect, store, study and disseminate the variety and vitality of the short comic genres in Bulgarian prose folklore.
Every potential participant is expected to send to the House of Humour and Satire material from his/her repertoir s/he is going to present by April 20th, 2017 and a completed entry-form. The material can be submitted in writing or on a DVD. Storytellers from abroad can only e-mail their material.
Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE, Gabrovo
ETAR Open-air Ethnographic Museum, Gabrovo
May 21st, 2017 (Sunday), 9.00 a.m. at the House of Humour and Satire
APPETITE COMES WITH EATING
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
Author's publications, individual writings or dramatizations, as well as materials that are not relevant to the theme shall not be considered.
Family participation (two ot three generations of storytellers is encouraged.
A selection board appointed by the organizers shall notify all applicants if they are selected or not by April 30th. The stay of the selected applicants in Gabrovo is covered by the House of Humour and Satire.
The competition will be held in two rounds.
In the first round participants can perform something by choice:
А. Stories, jokes, anecdotes (about food, hygiene of food, gluttony, overeating/overdrinking, Gabrovians know how to cook something out of nothing, Gabrovo recipes, the tapped egg, the fish bone, recipes for poor people...; hospitality, "Appetite Comes with Eating" as a metaphor);
B. Tales (about Hitar Petar, Nazreddin Hodja and their sworn brothers);
C. Funny anecdotes about famous people (our contemporaries or historical figures); political jokes and anecdotes, proverbs and saying, blessings;
F. New Gabrovo jokes and anecdotes.
The three best performers from the first round go on competiting in the second round until there is a winner. The entrants are allowed to perform in their local dialect.
The competitors are judged by a jury appointed by order of the director of the House of Humour and Satire.
1. BLAGOLAZH-2015 Prize – a statuette, a humorous souvenir and an indulgence sheet.
2. Prize of the public – a humorous souvenir and an indulgence sheet.
3. Prize for the best performance by a Bulgarian person living abroad - a humorous souvenir and an indulgence sheet
4. People's Joker Prize - a humorous souvenir and an indulgence sheet
5. Prize for first performance by a young joke- or storyteller - a humorous souvenir and an indulgence sheet
These prizes are ensured by the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE.
Special prize given by ETAR Open-air Ethnographic Museum to a participating family (child and parent or granma/grandpa) - ETAR souvenir and a certificate
Former BLAGOLAZH Grand Prix winners are allowed to take part in the competition, only with a new repertoir. Theirs is participation of honour.
The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE will have the best materials from the 17th BLAGOLAZH Meeting published in Book 10 of BLAGOLAZH series. Each competitor is entitled to a free copy.
The Meeting is covered by private and national mass media.
Applications should be addressed to:
Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE
P.O.Box 104, 5300 GABROVO
for BLAGOLAZH 2017
Tel. +359 (66) 80 72 29, 0884 029 374
LAUGHTER IS WHOLESOME!